Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Rene Descartes - Cogito Ergo Sum

"I think, therefore I am". The famous phrase by Rene Descartes. Today I'll make a brief explanation of how he came to that absolute axiom and what can be derived from it.

If you want to discover a principle, doubt of anything that isn't 100% true all the time. The sensible world isn't certain, thus my senses aren't trustworthy. Anything I consider logic and true now can just be an illusion, a deceive. But, if it is indeed an illusion, there's necessarily someone who is being deceived. If the world is imaginary, there's somebody conducting cerebral processes and imagining the whole thing. Thus, If I think, I must exist.

Many things can be interpreted from this affirmation. What I take from this is that the most important thing is perception. What an individual thinks about something is more important than the object itself. (Of course this can't be applied all the time, or we wouldn't agree on anything.) The only thing other people know about you is what you appear to be.

16 comments:

  1. Wow now I realize what it means thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "What an individual thinks about something is more important than the object itself." Very wise words there my friend. Couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post, I agree with you entirely. I lost you on first reading this post, but once I read it again I understood =3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understood this perfectly after going over it like 3 times, but i get it now ") Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post! i also think therefore i am ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very good quote, with a very wonderful explanation, I don't seem to do much thinking though lol. I think I'll follow you though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow really good and deep post. love this style.
    will follow you in hope for more.
    +1

    ReplyDelete
  8. Descartes. Now I have a name to go with the saying!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds about right. Is a great quote.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my favorite quotes next to "Scio me nihil scire" (The only thing i know is that i dont know anything. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, it makes a lot more sense now. I knew it before, but it takes on a whole new meaning with this description.

    ReplyDelete